Friday, March 18, 2011

Music in the Classroom

Music is a great work of art to bring into the classroom. The “hook” could be a include memorable information that is being taught in a lesson. It also could be used as an attention grabbing tool when introducing a new unit. The repetition and rhythm increases retention and can create interest in learning. Burns (1987) in A Typology of ‘hooks’ in popular records mentions several of these adjectives in the various definitions others have used to describe the hook in music.

One example where I have seen music successfully implemented into English lessons were songs by School House Rock. I remember Conjunction Junction clearly and sometimes, even if I wanted to, I can’t get the tune out of my head. A friend of mine who teaches high school sciences has shared with me several You Tube videos in which popular songs have adapted lyrics to teach a scientific topic through music. It is quite entertaining and a fun way to help students remember new subjects.


Burns, G. (1987). A Typology of 'Hooks' in Popular Records. Popular Music, Vol. 6, No. 1. (Jan., 1987), pp. 1-20.

No comments:

Post a Comment