Thursday, April 21, 2011

CEP 882 Reflection

Reflecting Upon NDCE –
As educators we are artists as we form our lessons. As Eisner describes we are forming a product that we hope “gives rise to feeling” in our students. I hope that they are interested and that their experience is compelling giving them the desire to become lifelong learners. I know that they will not appreciate and be inspired by every lesson and topic, but my hope would be that along the way something would spark their passion enticing them to want to learn more. Understanding elements that make an experience compelling helps in forming lessons that will produce “a rise of feeling”.
Sometimes it was more obvious to me when creating my blog posts on how skills/processes in a certain field could be used in the classroom to create a compelling experience. I had a few ideas that were exciting to think about implementing into my teaching. One was the idea of using movie trailers as an attention grabber prior to a lesson. I think video can be so compelling as an introduction to gain students attention and leave them wanting to learn more. One of my favorite quotes was from this same blog entry from Rabiger who states “participants describing past events or inner feelings make less impact than when we see them actually living through the experience itself.” There are so many implications that this thought has for the teaching field. Allowing students to have an experience rather than read about it in a textbook can create a much more lasting memory.
Another work of art that I really enjoyed analyzing was music. I liked the thought of the connection between forming a song that hooks the listener and how the teacher could use this as they think about how to hook the student. In music the hook is a memorable part of the song that grabs the listener’s attention and leaves them wanting to hear more. This is an important element to consider when forming a lesson. Is it memorable, rhythmic, repetitive and effective?
Also, the thought of tempo in the classroom could be beneficial to pay attention to. As a song’s tempo can affect our emotion – whether it is slow and soothing or fast and energetic it creates feeling. Is the classroom busy, are the lessons being presented quickly one after the other, or is there time to process, linger, and think about what is being taught? I have observed classrooms that are successful with both a fast tempo and slow tempo. One of my favorite fast tempo examples was a teacher who worked almost as a drill sergeant and the 3rd grade class was very fast paced, but you never saw a student sitting bored. The room was full of energy and they were excited that they knew what the next order of the day was. They also enjoyed picking on the observer in the classroom who did not know the daily procedures. They were having an enjoyable experience. I have also observed the opposite, where the pace was fast and hectic, but the students felt lost and confused. It is important to take time and assess the tempo. What feeling is being created in the classroom environment? Do we need to slow down or pick it up? I tend to talk very fast and realize I need to slow down, take a deep breath, and pace myself.
At first I struggled to think of the elements of interior design and the connection to teaching. I think I was caught thinking solely about the act of teaching, not thinking about the creation of an educational environment. Having the ability to form compelling lessons is important, but what about creating a compelling physical environment in the classroom. There are still a few classrooms that I can vividly remember due to my teacher’s design and layout. When I reflect upon the elements that made their rooms exciting they include lighting, artwork, having designated areas such as reading nooks which were many of the elements that Susanka addressed in her writings.
Overall, as I read through and reflect on each blog post it will serve as a reminder and inspiration to be a better designer. I am excited to take these elements and use them in conference planning, student communications, possible financial literacy web tools, and more. Through creating these analogical bridges between Education and the Arts it reiterates my beliefs that we can gain valuable skills through many avenues.
Eisner, E. W. (1985). Aesthetic modes of knowing. NSSE Yearbook. University of Chicago Press: Chicago. When you read this piece, focus on Eisner's use of the terms "form" and "forming."

Rabiger, M. The preparation before the shooting. From Directing the Documentary. Chap3 (part 1).
Susanka, S. Home by Design. Introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment